Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year, New Goals

  When I lived in Utah, January was my second least favorite month. (For me, March is the worst). Going back to school as a teacher and having 5 more daunting months ahead of me was so intimidating. The month is long and cold and felt so grinding.
  January in California is a beautiful time of year. Perfect for crisp days at the park, and days spent in my winter garden. Perfect jacket and sweater weather. Perfect for cold morning walks and pleasant, sunny afternoons. Sometimes there's rain and the hillsides are green. My feelings for January have softened.
  This year, I'm actually thrilled to be entering the month of January. The older I get the more I become like my brother in-law- someone who loves and craves the daily routine. I feel good when my days start early and are filled with the important things. Right now important things are family meals, art projects with the kids, play dates and laundry. It means consistent scripture study at night, and decent bedtimes for the kids. I love being home. I love knowing that the important things are being done.
  I also am thrilled for January because I am a goal setter. Not just at the beginning of the year, but all the time, but January enhances my intentionality, focus, and vision. My goals and intentions for 2016 have been on my mind and heart for the last few weeks. My biggest focus this year will be to blog again, and to really focus on the joy of motherhood. Reading books and finding inspiration from them will go hand in hand with both of those goals.
  Do you like to set goals? Do you find it helpful to write them down, or do you just think about them in your mind? I know that being intentional, or "building castles in the sky" is the most effective way to get me from point A to point B. I know it sounds cliche, but I really am thrilled for the potential that 2016 holds. I think it's going to be a good one!

1 comment :

  1. I'm becoming more like Jason all the time, too. I love vacation and lazy days for a little bit, but I love getting back to normal, productive life even more. I think it's a good way to be happy. Not dreading the things we have to do, but learning to truly enjoy them. We're really trying to teach our kids to be excited to go back to school. Not dreading it. Here's to an amazing (and productive) 2016!

    ReplyDelete